Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Strength of Women

So I am working on a book project.  The Title is "The Strength of Women".  I have been blessed with some strong women in my life and upon reflection realized how rich my life has been from knowing them.
One of these women was my friend and mentor Lena.  We worked side by side in Christian Women's Club, a Stonecroft ministry.   She was a walking miracle.  Her strength was amazing to me.  Although she suffered from a variety of health issues, it did not slow her down.  She was involved with her family, her church, and her community.  She loved life.  She loved people.
The source of her strength was her relationship with the Lord. When Parkinson's overtook her body, I drove her to speaking engagements.  She never lost her sense of humor.  Toward the end of her life here on earth, I visited her in the nursing home.  She had suffered a stroke and could no longer care for herself.  As usual, her sense of humor was intact.  I thought I was going there to comfort her.  I was wrong again. I walked away more blessed.
I know she is dancing today in Heaven and  I will see her again one day. 
The verses that comes to my mind when I think about Lena are Romans 5:3-4: "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope."
Today I celebrate the strong,godly women in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a lady. Her blessings upon you have been multiplied. For you have gone forth and been a blessing to me and many others. May God bless your every day on Earth and heal the arthritis and any pain you may feel.
    Love and Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete